Meeting Minutes: November 5, 1998

Attendance

Present: Everett Adam, Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Dennis Wright (for Bruce Biddle), Michael Devaney, Dan Edidin, Elizabeth Geden, Judith Goodman, Allen Hahn, Robert Hall, Edward Hunvald, Thomas Hurley, Nancy Knipping, John Dwyer (for William Kurtz), Michael McKean, Mark Milanick, Don Miles, David Rayl, Robin Remington, Robert Weagley, Paul Weirich, James Curtis (for Russ Zguta), and Robert Almony (Librarians). Absent: Melvin Blase, Gordon Christensen, Henry Liu, Norman Land (for Glenn Pierce), William Wiebold, Wayne Decker (Retirees), and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Report of Officers

The meeting was called to order at 3:40 p.m. by Chair Robert Weagley in room S203 of the Memorial Union.

Weagley reported that the Resource Advisory Council (RAC) will meet on November 19 to advise the administration on mission enhancement proposals for undergraduate education. The subcommittees of RAC will be on the agenda for the December meeting. These subcommittees are charged with establishing criteria for budget cuts and for designing a budget plan. The cuts may involve either an across-the-board cut or cuts determined by the amount a department earns by credit hours. Weagley stressed that budgets will still increase; the cuts will only affect increases to the existing budget. Some portion of the cut may be held back to allow units to make a case for their budgets. A joint meeting of RAC and the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee (SPAC) will be held with Ed Mahon to make recommendations for information technology. SPAC will be giving the Chancellor five priorities for the planning document. Departments might be asked to write planning documents during the summer to outline what they are doing to meet the objectives of the strategic plan

Weagley will address the Board of Curators' open hearing concerning the sexual orientation resolution passed at the October 22, 1998, Faculty Council meeting.

Robert Hall, Vice Chair of Faculty Council, reported that the Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) met on October 29. People from all four campuses now have the current draft of the suggested changes to the grievance procedure. It will be a discussion item for the November IFC meeting. Representatives of UMSL turned in a proposed change to the grade change policy. It appears that currently there is no such policy in place. IFC heard a report that health insurance costs may increase dramatically before 2000. At the next meeting on November 20, Steve Lehmkuhle, Vice President for Academic Affairs, will talk about planning.

Action Items

Tenure Task Force Recommendations. The recommendations of the Faculty Affairs committee concerning Promotion and Tenure were discussed and voted on. For each of 10 items, the committee voted on the recommended change and, if approved, on the disposition of the item.

Faculty Council voted to pass the following items:

Item #1: Amend Executive Order #26, Paragraph 1, to read: Chancellors shall have the discretion to grant extension of the probationary period for tenure to faculty members who encounter either personal or professional circumstances that may substantially interrupt their ability to make progress toward tenure. Examples of personal reasons for granting an extension of the probationary period include pregnancy; primary care responsibility for a newborn or newly-adopted child; serious illness; or care of an invalid or seriously ill spouse, partner, parent, child, or other close dependent. Professional considerations might include atypical or extraordinary circumstances

Motion: to forward the recommendation to the Provost for action needed for implementation.

Item #2: Institute a mandatory, written departmental and or divisional mid-probationary review including peer review for all tenure-track faculty.

Motion: to forward the recommendation to the Provost for its inclusion in appropriate campus promotion and tenure documents.

During discussion, members agreed that whether peer review was internal or external would be a decision of each division.

Item #5: Require appropriate letters in dossiers from departments, divisions, deans to include the numerical results of all formal votes on candidates for promotion and/or tenure

Motion: to forward the recommendation to the Provost for its inclusion in the Provost's document: Call for Promotion and Tenure Recommendations

This item was proposed to prevent departments from failing to report a first vote. During discussion, members noted that formal votes are taken by secret ballot.

Item #6 (recommendation #9): A committee shall be appointed to formulate a unified policy on appeals and hearings with attention to the time/stage when an appeal is deemed appropriate. Nomination of the faculty representatives will be made by Faculty Council and sent to the Provost

Motion: to forward the recommendation to the Provost. Council will also forward faculty nominations to the Provost

Item #8 (recommendation #11): At all meetings for promotion and/or tenure considerations of individual faculty, no persons involved at subsequent promotion and tenure levels may attend, except by invitation of the candidate or the committee and in a non-voting capacity only. At hearings and appeals no persons involved at subsequent administrative levels may attend

Motion: to forward the recommendation to the Provost for its inclusion in appropriate promotion and tenure guidelines, such as Provost's annual Call for Promotion and Tenure Recommendation document.

Faculty Council voted to refer the following item back to the Faculty Affairs Committee for further discussion: Item #4: Percentage assignments for individual faculty members should be left up to each division. Divisions should adopt a model that includes all aspects of faculty responsibility: teaching, research, and service. It is recognized that assignments may change on an annual basis, thus annual re-assignments, if any, must be clearly indicted in writing. It is anticipated each faculty member will devote a significant amount of effort to teaching and research.

During discussion, some members argued for flexibility in determining the extent to which appointments required both teaching and research.

Faculty Council voted to delete the following recommendation of the Task Force: Item #7 (recommendation #10): An appeal to the Chancellor concerning promotion and/or tenure cases is permitted only after the Provost's decision has been made.

Committee members commented that Item #6 would establish appeals procedures, so Item #7 is unnecessary.

Items 3, 9, and 10 will be discussed and voted on at the November 19, 1998 meeting.

Discussion Items

November 3, Fall Semester General Faculty Meeting. Robert Weagley reported that non-regular faculty came to the meeting because they expected a discussion of non-regular faculty. Weagley put them in touch with each other. The people who spoke with him want a seat on Faculty Council. Weagley voiced concern with the growth of non-regular positions and questioned whether a cap could be established on the percentage of credit hours that can be taught by non-regular faculty. This would force the hire of more tenure-track faculty.

Grievance Procedure Faculty Review. Edward Hunvald reported that he had received a suggestion that an annual report be issued at year end that lists all grievances filed, the date they were filed, and their status. This would discourage delays in dealing with grievances.

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs: Lloyd Barrow reported that the committee is working on the calendar for the 2000/2001 academic year. Fall Semester will start either August 21 or 28, and Winter Semester will start after the Martin Luther King holiday.

Fiscal Affairs: Bob Almony will meet with Gary Zwonitzer to discuss merit raises. On November 10, the library will meet with each unit's faculty liaison to discuss massive cancellations of serials. He urged units to send a senior faculty member.

Special Projects: After meeting with the executive committee, the committee is continuing work on its proposal to publish the Faculty Forum newsletter electronically and to revise the Rules of Order. In addition, it will revise the Faculty Handbook.

Student Affairs: The committee continued to discuss the impact of using a 4.0 rather than a 4.3 for an A+ on Latin Honors. Currently, some students get a 4.3 and others get a 4.0 due to a change in the policy. The committee has met with the Student Publications Committee. The committee has also met with Peter Markie, and Jo Behymer of the Provost's Office to discuss student conduct.

In addition to Council's Standing Committee reports, Staff Council Chair Paul Morris reported that they are discussing ombuds and the addition of sexual orientation to the nondiscrimination policy.

Adjournment&Closed Session

The meeting was moved to closed session at 5:00 p.m. to make committee nominations and appointments. The meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Judith Goodman, Recorder