Meeting Minutes: September 17, 1998

Attendance

Present: Everett Adam, Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Dennis Wright, Melvin Blase, Michael Devaney, Don Edidin, Elizabeth Geden, Judith Goodman, Allen Hahn, Robert Hall, Edward Hunvald, Nancy Knipping, William Kurtz, Henry Liu, Michael McKean, Mark Milanick, Don Miles, David Rayl, Robin Remington, Robert Weagley, Paul Weirich, William Wiebold, Robert Almony (Librarians), and Wayne Decker (Retirees). Absent: Gordon Christensen, Thomas Hurley, Norman Land, James Curtis, and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Approval of Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 3:40 p.m. by Chair Robert Weagley in room S203 of the Memorial Union. The minutes of August 27, 1998 were approved.

Report of Officers

Weagley reported that the Office of Research appointed an advisory committee that includes a Faculty Council representative, Everett Adams. It will discuss whether nonregular faculty will be eligible for internal grants. Weagley reported that no consensus among faculty exists regarding this issue.

Weagley reported that he discussed several items with Interim Provost Deaton. Many items in the Promotion and Tenure document are simply administrative and may be adopted by the Provost. Beth Geden, Chair of Faculty Affairs, will be meeting with Deaton. A few items need further discussion.

In anticipation of a resource allocation model in which money is allocated to departments in part on the basis of credit hours generated, Weagley suggested that an Undergraduate Curriculum Committee might be formed to approve courses.

Student conduct will be taken up by the Student Affairs committee. Current procedures may be adequate if they are followed.

Weagley reported that the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) will discontinue clusters as of Winter Semester, 1999.

Weagley reported that some faculty were unaware that a budget shortfall of $15 million is expected for this year. Reserves will cover this amount, but are not adequate to continue to do so. The Resource Advisory Council (RAC) has the charge of finding ways to save money. They hope to make up a majority of the shortfall this year. Next year, much of it will come out of the Provost's budget. A large portion of the loss resulted from entitlements stemming from scholarships. Therefore, scholarship offerings will be modified as recommended by the Enrollment Management Task Force. The Curator and Brooks scholarships will still be offered, but the Chancellor's scholarship will be discontinued; an Excellence award will be offered in its place. Diversity and Transition awards and need-based scholarships will be offered to qualified students. Students already matriculated into the university will not be affected. Other contributors to the budget shortfall are the low retention rate and the drop in graduate school enrollment, particularly among master's students.

The next meeting of RAC (Sept. 28) will discuss expenditures for funds available for this academic year. Likely candidates are the physical plant and Life Science Enhancement.

The Resource Allocation Criteria Subcommittee chaired by Gilbert Youmans will evaluate strengths and weaknesses of programs; The list will be provided to the individual colleges for feedback, and will play a role in determining the budget allocation model.

The Budget Model Subcommittee chaired by John David is looking at a model adopted by the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. We were advised to access their web page. In this model, allocation of a portion of the funds is determined by the number of majors or number of credit hours a department generates. Another portion of funds remains in a discretionary pot at the Provost's level.

Weagley reported that nominations of members of the committee that will review "Connections" Mission Enhancement Proposals are going on now. The committee will have a faculty member from every college and two from Arts and Sciences. Members will not vote on proposals from their college. The Chancellor and Provost will take the committee's recommendations and make decisions. Concerns over the lack of time to prepare proposals and the lack of clarity of the review process were voiced. Weagley said the timeline is short so departments can get in the hiring cycle for the next academic year if their proposal is funded. It was noted that some areas of the university will shrink due to the budget shortfall while other areas will grow due to Mission Enhancement. This is likely to be a painful process for some, so better communication from the administrators is needed.

Weagley reported that the UM System is working on a planning process and the Chancellor is involved with it.

Robert Hall, Faculty Council Vice Chair, designed an evaluation form for the Provost's search that will be handed out to all faculty at meetings with each Provost candidate.

Discussion Items

Policy Governing Program Reviews. Interim Provost Brady Deaton responded to Faculty Council's request for a letter concerning program reviews. Faculty voiced concern that Deaton's letter did not make clear whether the current practice of having the deans determine members of the external review committee will continue or if we will return to the guidelines established in Executive Order 25. Faculty asked for another letter from Deaton to clarify his stand. Weagley agreed to ask Deaton to write a letter to the deans asking that Executive Order 25 be followed in the Review Process.

Grievance Procedure Faculty Review. Copies of the proposed changes to the Grievance Procedure are circulating among faculty for feedback. The proposed changes will be discussed at the November 20th meeting of Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC). The final document will be presented to the Board of Curators.

Council Workshop. Council's Standing Committees established priorities for the coming academic year. Comments or suggestions for next year's workshop should be given to Weagley.

Inclement Weather Policy. Paul Weirich put a copy of the university's policy on inclement weather in the meeting packet. He stressed that canceling classes is up to the chancellor or his designee. A member asked whether the decision could be posted on the web page. Another noted that there was no mention of a campus plan for reaction to very severe weather (e.g., tornadoes). Robert Almony said that every building on campus has an emergency plan.

Standing Committee Reports

The standing committees reported their priorities for the '98-99 academic year. Academic Affairs: Prepare calendar for 2000-2001; re-examine the repeat course grade proposal; study web-based transfer credit policy; review distance education. Faculty Affairs: Grievance procedure; promotion and tenure; nonregular faculty; family Medical Leave Act. Fiscal Affairs: Assign a campus committee liaison; meet with Gary Zwonitzer to discuss market and merit reporting; budget for Faculty Council; retirement and staff benefits; gather information of responsibility-centered management from different campuses around the country. Special Projects: Contact with various faculty committees (Status of Women, International Initiatives, Environmental Affairs, Hearnes Center, Minority Affairs and Disabilities); update website; collect material on cultural activities in Columbia for recruiting; revise Council's Rules of Order and the Faculty Handbook. Student Affairs: At the workshop members identified enrollment management; advisement; student conduct; and student publications as areas to receive specific attention during the year.

Any Other Business

Chancellor Wallace issued a statement regarding conduct at football games. Faculty Council joined him and issued a resolution condemning irresponsible and disrespectful behavior exhibited by some fans. A motion to suspend the rules was voted upon and passed in order to allow a discussion and vote of the Fan Resolution. The Fan Resolution was passed by a unanimous vote of Council.

Faculty asked that a notification about the policy on plus/minus grading be made available on the web and/or sent to all chairs at the beginning of the year. In addition, faculty asked that the Provost's office supply a short and clear paragraph on the policy on academic dishonesty that could be added to syllabi.

Adjournment&Closed Session

The meeting was moved to closed session at 4:50 p.m. to make committee nominations and appointments. The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Judith Goodman, Recorder