Meeting Minutes: August 27, 1998

Attendance Present

Everett Adam, Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Dennis Wright, Michael Devaney, Dan Edidin, Elizabeth Geden, Judith Goodman, William Fales (for Allen Hahn), Robert Hall, Edward Hunvald, Nancy Knipping, William Kurtz, Henry Liu, Michael McKean, Don Miles, Norman Land, David Rayl, Robin Remington, Robert Weagley, Paul Weirich, and Wayne Decker (Retirees). Absent: Melvin Blase, Gordon Christensen, Thomas Hurley, Mark Milanick, William Weibold, James Curtis, Robert Almony (Librarians), and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Approval of Minutes The meeting was called to order at 3:40 p.m. by Chair Robert Weagley in room S203 of the Memorial Union. The minutes of July 23, 1998 were approved.

Report of Officers Weagley announced that the Council Workshop will be held on Sept. 3,1998 in room 208 D&E, Reynolds Center. An orientation will be held for new members at 3 p.m. and the business meeting will begin at 3:30 p.m. A social hour and dinner will follow the workshop. Chancellor Richard Wallace, Provost Brady Deaton, and Vice-Chancellor Charles Schroeder will attend the dinner as Council's guests.

Weagley announced that the meeting packets contained a letter from Chancellor Wallace inviting all faculty and staff to attend a one-hour faculty forum for the Administrative Systems Project (ASP) on Sept. 15, 1998 at 11 a.m. in the Benton/Bingham Room (N214-215) of the Memorial Union.

Weagley reported that the Resource Advisory Council is working with two subcommittees. One is chaired by Gilbert Youmans and will make recommendations for a $2.7 million budget reduction for the l999/2000 academic year. The other is chaired by John David and will develop a budget allocation model.

Weagley met with Jack Burns, Vice-Provost of Research. He reported that Burns is moving to shift patents and copyrights from the system-level to the MU campus. In addition, Burns is looking into the creation of a research park to increase the incentives of faculty to conduct research. Weagley also raised the issue of returning a higher proportion of RIF funds. Burns noted that we already return 30%, while our peer institutions return an average of 15%. He would rather see some of the money used for seed money for young faculty. Burns is creating a Research Advisory Committee and has asked that one member of Faculty Council be appointed to .serve on it after he has made his appointments.

Weagley has asked Linda Cook in the Provost's Office to make Deans' Council minutes available electronically to all members of Faculty Council.

Weagley asked members to provide a biographical sketch and/or updates to Becky Flanders for the Council web site.

Discussion Items

Standing Committee Assignments. The assignments to standing committees were available in meeting packets.

Standing Committee Charges. A list of possible charges for each standing committee was in the meeting packet. Committees can use them at the workshop on Sept. 3, 1998 to establish priorities for this academic year. Weagley has also asked former chairs to rank priorities. Weagley noted that each committee should have monthly contact with campus faculty committees dealing with related areas.

Policy Governing Program Reviews. Interim Provost Brady Deaton responded to the letter from Faculty Council that expressed the concerns of the College of Engineering over program reviews. The letter voiced support of Executive Order 25. Professor Henry Liu raised the question of selection of committees for program reviews. Several faculty voiced concern that deans from a different discipline than the program under review may not be the best people to decide who should be members of an external review team. Peter Markie noted that the same problems are true of the Provost's Office and that members of the relevant program are more knowledgeable about the content area. Robert Weagley will write a memo to Brady Deaton that states that it is our understanding that Executive Order 25 will be followed and stresses that programs under review should be consulted to form external review teams. It will further state that a selection policy should be established.

Grievance Procedure Faculty Review. Weagley instructed each member of Faculty Council to distribute copies of the grievance procedure, proposed changes, and explanations of the changes to four faculty members for concrete feedback to take to the Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC). An important proposed change is to speed up the timetable in which people who file a grievance will receive feedback. He asked that these be returned by September 24, 1998. In addition, the Special Projects Committee will try to get a copy of the procedure and proposed changes on the Faculty Council web site.

Faculty Forum Newsletter. The newsletter's annual budget is $3,500 a year, and Weagley questioned whether that money might be better spent elsewhere. For example, we could fund a work study student to improve the web page or publish the newsletter less frequently and use it as a position forum. Rules require the minutes to be published. Council must consider our past practice of publishing on paper in contrast to publishing exclusively on the web. Weagley noted that the Library can be asked to keep a copy of the minutes on paper should the decision be made to publish exclusively on the web.

Anv Other Business Four candidates for the Provost position will come to campus in mid-September. Their names will be made public the week of September 7, 1998. Weagley asked that members of Faculty Council attend public forums for those candidates. In addition, Faculty Council was asked to submit a list of questions to be submitted to each candidate for written answers. Weagley submitted a list of possible questions to members for comments.

Adjournment&Closed Session

The meeting was moved to closed session at 4:45 p. m. to make committee nominations and to revise the list of questions for the Provost candidates. The meeting was adjourned at 5:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Judith Goodman, Recorder