Meeting Minutes: February 11, 1999

Attendance

Present: Everett Adam, Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Dennis Wright (for Bruce Biddle), Melvin Blase, Michael Devaney, Dan Edidin, Elizabeth Geden, Judith Goodman, Allen Hahn, Edward Hunvald, Thomas Hurley, Nancy Knipping, William Kurtz, Henry Liu, Michael McKean, Don Miles, Glenn Pierce, David Rayl, Robin Remington, Robert Weagley, Paul Weirich, James Curtis (for Russ Zguta), Robert Almony (Librarians), and Wayne Decker (Retirees). Absent: Gordon Christensen, Robert Hall, Mark Milanick, William Wiebold, and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Approval of Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 3:30 p.m. by Chair Robert Weagley in room S203 of the Memorial Union. The minutes of January 21, 1999, Council meeting were approved.

Report of Officers

Weagley reminded the Executive Committee that they would meet with the Council of Deans from 8-10 a.m., on Friday, February 12, 1999.

Weagley announced that a forum dealing with Intellectual Property and Copyright Laws will be held on Tuesday, March 2, 1999 in Fisher Auditorium, Gannett Hall at 3:30 p.m. The forum is sponsored by the Intellectual Property Office and Faculty Council.

Weagley reported that the Resource Advisory Council (RAC) and the Strategic Planning Advisory Council (SPAC) presented a budget model for campus to the Chancellor's staff. The Chancellor's staff will meet with RAC after reviewing it.

Weagley reported that the UM system is studying the proposed revisions to the grievance procedure and will meet with Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) to work out any differences.

Weagley reported that Staff Council's campus standing committee request is being considered by an ad hoc subcommittee of the Executive Committee composed of: Elizabeth Geden, Edward Hunvald, and Robert Weagley.

Action Items

There were no action items.

Discussion Items

Assessment. Faculty Council voted to suspend the rules so it could vote today to hold faculty forums concerning assessment. Faculty Council then voted to hold faculty forums to discuss a faculty-wide ballot that would make general education and major assessment a graduation requirement.

In the discussion preceding the votes faculty raised questions about the need for a campus-wide dialog of students and faculty on: the process of assessment; the particular general education assessment test in use; and, whether the system uses financial rewards for compliance to the campus. The goals of the faculty forums are to get input from other faculty about assessment as well as a possible future ballot, and to provide information to faculty concerning assessment.

Mail Ballot re: Faculty Evaluation. Faculty Council members commented on a draft of the mail ballot regarding faculty evaluation and review. Several faculty requested that non-regular faculty be explicitly included, however it was not clear whether Option 1 of the Ballot (Executive Guideline 27) currently includes non-regular faculty or not. Members of Faculty Council requested that the chair examine the use of the word 'faculty' in current policy and suggested that 'non-regular faculty' be inserted into the introduction of the mail ballot if that would be allowed.

Sexual Orientation. When the Board of Curators took up the non-discrimination policy, they did not add the term 'sexual orientation'. Faculty Council voted to suspend the rules and then voted to endorse the Missouri Student Association's (MSA) resolution. The MSA resolution called for individual colleges to include the words 'sexual orientation' in their own policy statements. Several Faculty Council members stated that MU should take a leadership role and urged the Chancellor to make a more direct statement to send a clear message that MU does not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Board of Curators Report

Edward Hunvald, Observer to the Board, submitted to Council his report of the January 28&29, 1999, Board meeting in St. Louis. Hunvald told Council that there are three curators whose terms have expired that so far have not been replaced.

Standing Committee Reports

Faculty Affairs. Elizabeth Geden, Chair, announced that she is in a fact gathering stage with respect to non-regular faculty. The Faculty Affairs Committee will hold forums with non-regular faculty to learn about their concerns.

Fiscal Affairs. Bob Almony, Chair, announced that he has been working to get the money saved by discontinuing the printed format of the Faculty Forum Newsletter allotted for new equipment for the Faculty Council office. The committee has also been examining the average pay raises for all departments.

Special Projects. Paul Weirich, Chair, discussed proposed changes to the Faculty Handbook. The changes were motivated by suggestions that have been made over the years. The committee asked that comments on the proposed changes be made to committee members.

Student Affairs. Michael Devaney, Chair, is currently considering the student absence policy. The committee has also considered the recommendations from the Alcohol Summit and considered ways to use them in the classroom to influence students.

Any Other Business

Michael McKean, Chair, Campus Computer Policy Committee, said that faculty are concerned about the difficulty they are having gaining access to the internet from home. Some have argued that funds should be made available so faculty can avoid getting busy signals when they dial in, because access is necessary. He said that charges for internet access may be possible in the future.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Judith Goodman, Recorder