Meeting Minutes: June 11, 1998

Attendance

Present: Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Bruce Biddle, Melvin Blase, Gordon Christensen, Michael Devaney, Elizabeth Geden, Allen Hahn, Robert Hall, Edward Hunvald, Thomas Hurley, Nancy Knipping, Henry Liu, Mark Milanick, Donald Miles, Glenn Pierce, Don Ranly, Don Schilling, John Reeder (for Dennis Sentilles), MaryEllen Sievert, Robert Weagley, Paul Weirich, Gilbert Youmans, Russ Zguta, Robert Almony (Librarians) and Wayne Decker (Retirees). Absent: Jere Francis, William Kurtz, Marian Minor, William Wiebold and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Approval of Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 3:40 p.m., in room S203 Memorial Union by Chairman Gilbert Youmans. The minutes of the April 8, 1998, General Faculty Meeting were approved.

Report of Officers

Youmans introduced Allen Hahn who reported that the Intercampus Faculty Council met in May before the Board of Curators meeting. They discussed the revision of the grievance procedure and discussed the retirement package. Hahn then asked Edward Hunvald to report on grievance procedure. He said that the Kansas City campus wanted to be able to use adjuncts as part of hearing panels. There was discussion about who can testify and who can hear that testimony. The current thinking is that a witness should be able to request that both parties be requested to leave the hearing. Youmans then reported that the Ombuds proposal had been defeated but expressed hope that eventually there might be a voluntary faculty committee that could serve in a similar role. Discussion followed as several members were still interested in pursuing some form of assisting faculty short of the formal grievance process.

Discussion Items

Report from theTask Force on Non-Regular Faculty Edward Adelstein reported that many faculty are appointed to non-regular positions with no consistency about promotion. These faculty need some rights, some feeling of academic freedom, and some security. A first response to the task force report from the administration was a letter suggesting that non-regular faculty be eligible for Kemper Awards.

Proposal from the Provost Office to Include Non-Regular Faculty in the Pool of Candidates for Kemper Fellowships. It was moved and seconded that the recommendations of the report from the task force be pursued as an action item at the July meeting. The recommendations of the task force were adopted by a unanimous vote. Several questions were asked about the recommendation pertaining to the Kemper Awards and it was decided to put that on the agenda as an action item for the July meeting.

Petition on E-mail. Youmans distributed a petition about electronic mail which many faculty signed. Youmans said he tried to contact Edward Mahon to suggest that such issues be handled by the proposed faculty committee on computing. Hunvald said that a knowledgeable person said the proposal in the petition was a modest, doable proposal.

Proposal to Establish a Campus Standing Committee on Information and Access Technology Services (Computer Policy). Youmans reported that Ed Mahon supported the establishment of such a committee. It was moved and seconded that the establishment of this committee be on the agenda for the July. The motion passed.

Board of Curators Report Hunvald summarized the meeting. There was a lengthy presentation by consultants about the retirement plan, which was followed by questions dealing mainly with the financial aspects from a few curators. The one area which received no discussion was the proposal for a fee waiver for dependents. It was reported that the curators had not been fully informed of the proposal for changes in the retirement package before it was published in Spectrum. Adelstein asked what was the curators' view of the hospital and Almony responded that they seemed to view it as financially sound. Youmans asked those Faculty Council from the Health Sciences Center to look at the master plan and give their comments to the Executive Committee. Almony reported that the fiscal information given to the curators was skillfully handled, and there was talk about what might be problematic in the future, such as the use of reserve funds.

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs: Barrow reported that the calendar was completed, the W/F grade had been resolved. The committee had not resolved the issue of repeated courses but Barrow presented information that only a small number of those who failed English 20 or Math 20 repeated the course and then succeeded.

Faculty Affairs: Zguta reported that the tenure document can be voted on next year but there are three items left for discussion.

Fiscal Affairs: Almony reported that Gary Zwonitzer had met with the Executive Committee and explained that it would be next year before the merit raise information would be available.

Special Projects: Hunvald reported that they were still working on the grievance process. Still remaining was the revision of the by-laws.

Student Affairs: Weagley reported that the committee was still waiting for a proposal on student publications. The committee had received a request for information on how student conduct is monitored and a letter from students complaining that the math department was charging students for examination answer sheets.

Any Other Business

Resource Advisory Council. Weagley reported that as chair of the Council he had been meeting with the Chancellor's staff and that they were moving quickly with real figures. There will probably be an attempt to increase revenue from student fees. There was consideration of creating a subcommittee of the Provost and three to five faculty members who would define the criteria which would be used if cutbacks were necessary. This committee would work before there was a crisis. They were investigating a proposal for full cost accounting method for the whole campus which could result in bidding for the use of shared resources. This system is used at the University of Indianapolis. Weagley stated that he hoped that a report from the Council would be on the agenda regularly next year.

Adjournment and Closed Session

The Council moved to closed session at 5:20 p.m. Robert Hall was elected Vice Chair of the Faculty Council for 1998-1999. The meeting was adjourned at 5:48 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

MaryEllen Sievert, Recorder