Meeting Minutes: March 27, 1997

Attendance

Present: Edward Adelstein, Lloyd Barrow, Gordon Christensen, Leonard Forte, John Howe (for Jere Francis), Alice Kuehn (for Elizabeth Geden), Allen Hahn, Peter Hall, Ruth S. MacDonald (for Hildegarde Heymann), Nancy Knipping, William Kurtz, Henry Liu, Michael Middleton, John Miles, Marian Minor, Patricia Plummer, Michael Porter, Don Ranly, Robin Remington, Ray Rothenberger, Dennis Sentilles, Mary Ellen Sievert, Robert Weagley, Gilbert Youmans, Russ Zguta, Robert Almony (Librarians), and Wayne Decker (Retirees). Absent: Charles Knowles, Beryl Ortwerth, Alex Pickard, and Mable Grimes (Black Faculty and Staff).

Approval of Minutes

Chair Dennis Sentilles called the meeting to order at 3:40 p.m. in the AP Green Chapel. The minutes of the February 13 and 27, 1997 meetings were approved as submitted.

Reports and Information Items

Faculty "Forum". Al Hahn announced that the website for Faculty Council now has a true "forum" for Faculty Council to use. Faculty need to "sign up" prior to using this sight. A forthcoming issue of Mizzou Weekly will give details on how faculty may subscribe and sign up for the new forum on the web.

Academic Calendar. The Executive Committee met with President Mel George and Chancellor Wallace on Wednesday, March 26, 1997, to discuss the academic calendar for the 1998-99 academic year. At this time, MU will maintain the calendar approved and passed by Faculty Council.

Shadow Council. The Shadow Council meeting on March 24, 1997 went very well and was attended by several new faculty members. One of the major points made at this meeting is that we should begin to think of our "untenured faculty" as "pre-tenured faculty".

IFC Report. Mike Porter reported on the IFC discussion dealing with "Students with Disabilities Policy". He noted that the final draft included the IFC view that faculty should not be involved in determining certification of disability but will be involved in determining appropriate accommodations. On advice of legal counsel, the draft does not include the "Contract with Students" view espoused by the IFC.

Student Computing Fees. Mike reported that a draft policy regarding a change in student computing fees was distributed at the IFC meeting. He noted that the student computing fee is being increased from $6 to $7 this next academic year. IFC is very interested in how these funds are being spent and who makes the expenditure decisions. It was reported that the money does stay on the individual campuses.

Mission Enhancement. Mike reported that Steve Lehmkuhle discussed the role of the recently formed Regional Consortia of Universities within the state. Furthermore, Steve noted that there is an effort to tie mission enhancement requests to state needs.

Presidential Search. Mike reported that Susan Feigenbaum, who chaired the Faculty Committee, reported that the committee functioned quite effectively and had a positive influence on the ultimate choice of the Board of Curators for the President of the UM System. However, discussion did arise during Faculty Council that this presidential search process was flawed, no matter how good the President ends up being. After intense discussion, it was moved, seconded, and passed that Professors Mike Middleton, Peter Hall, Robin Remington, and Pat Plummer are to write two letters: 1) a welcoming letter to the new President, and 2) a letter to the Board of Curators questioning the process used in the search for our new president.

Sexual Orientation. Finally, Mike reported that Mel George believes that he cannot persuade the Board of Curators to change its current policy on the sexual orientation statement for the University of Missouri System. President George is leaning towards an Executive Order that would accomplish some of the same goals as specific protection of individuals based on sexual orientation.

Health and Health Care. Marian Minor handed out a clarification of Point-of-Service Select Plus benefits for the Columbia campus. A copy of Marian's handout is available from Becky Flanders in the Faculty Council Office. However, the main point of her handout was "an individual or members of a family can access care at any time under any or all three levels of the Point-of Service Select Plus plan. The level of coverage (A, B, or C) is determined by where you seek care."

Board of Curators Report. Mike Middleton reported that the last Board of Curators meeting in Rolla was a rather routine meeting with no major issues of a controversial nature being raised, except some discussion regarding management placement of the university retirement funds.

Discussion Item

Revision of Article IX. Gilbert Youmans distributed a proposed change in the academic regulation, Article IX, to read: "Credit initially earned and applied toward an undergraduate degree may not subsequently be applied towards a graduate degree." The two underlined words are the main changes in this proposed revision. This will be an action item at the next meeting of Faculty Council.

Grade Point Average for Repeated Courses. The Academic Affairs Committee is still working on a proposed revision on this matter. No exact language is available yet.

The Faculty Responsibility Committee. Change in Article XI, Section 8.B of the Academic Regulations. Gilbert Youmans noted that the current wording of this section is as follows: "For the Campus Committee on Faculty Responsibility, the Faculty Council shall name annually a panel of 13 members." The proposed change is to read: "For the Campus Committee on Faculty Responsibility, the Faculty Council shall name a panel of 13 members. Members shall be appointed for three-year terms. These terms shall be staggered, with 3 or 4 new members appointed each year." It was moved, seconded, and passed to suspend the rules to allow a motion on this proposed change in Article XI, Section 8.B of the academic regulations. Next, it was moved, seconded, and passed to adopt the changes given above in Article XI of the academic regulations.

Electronic Recording during Council. Discussion followed on whether or not Faculty Council should allow audio recording devices, if not obtrusive, during meetings of Faculty Council. A vote on this matter will occur at the next meeting of Faculty Council.

Task Force on Non-Tenure Track Professors. Dr. Zguta reported that there are 721 faculty currently in non-tenure track professorial positions. Faculty Council will discuss the appointment of a task force to examine the rights and privileges on these non-tenure track positions. It was noted that there are many questions that have to be answered by this task force. For example, do we mean individuals with professorial titles who are not on tenure track but do high-level professorial work, and/or are we also talking about individuals of "instructor" rank who primarily teach? Also, do we mean to include "clinical" faculty who are tenure-track but are funded by soft money that they are expected to acquire? As noted by Dennis Sentilles, we need: 1) a clear definition of categories; 2) a decision on which categories are to be included on such a task force; and 3) a recommended charge.

Standing Committee Reports

Fiscal Affairs: Mary Ellen Sievert reported that she hopes to report soon on how the merit system is working, possibly at our next meeting.

Adjournment

Faculty Council adjourned at 5:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Robert Almony, Recorder