Meeting Minutes: November 16, 1995

Attendance

Present were: Edward Adelstein, Craig Anderson, Lloyd Barrow, Hardeep Bhullar, Joe Charlson, Leonard Forte, V. Ganjam (for Allen Hahn), Peter Hall, Jean Hamilton, Edward Hunvald, Nancy Knipping, Alex Pickard, Glenn Pierce, Patricia Plummer, Michael Porter, Don Ranly, Ray Rothenberger, Dennis Sentilles, Mary Ellen Sievert, Sue Taylor, Harry Tyrer, C. Gilbert Youmans, and Bob Almony (Librarians). Absent were: Gary Allee, Benedict Campbell, Jere Francis, Charles Knowles, Marian Minor, Ron Plain, Sara Walker, Roy Utz (Retirees), and Mabel Grimes (Black Faculty&Staff).

Report of Officers

Chairperson Patricia Plummer called the meeting to order in Room S110 in the Memorial Union at 3:45 p.m. The minutes of the November 2, 1995 meeting were amended to correct a misspelling on page 3.

The chair, Patricia Plummer, reported on a ground-breaking ceremony at Stankowski Field earlier today. Next, Pat commented on the excellent job done by the Faculty Council representatives presenting at the Board of Curators meeting on November 9. The IFC will be meeting on November 17, and the agenda includes having the IFC look into the infrastructure of the university and its support, including the technology plan. Finally, Pat noted that the Honorary Degrees Committee would still like nominations from faculty even though the deadline has passed by a few days.

Dennis Sentilles, Vice Chair of Faculty Council, noted that the President of the University will add additional people to the System Benefits Committee to look at our medical care plan. It was noted that Faculty Council may wish to consider suggesting Susan Taylor, Andrew Twaddle, and Dennis Sentilles as these additional members. Dennis noted that the Medical Oversight Committee will soon meet with GenCare representatives.

Action Items

There were no scheduled action items at this meeting.

Discussion Items

Revision of Campus Recreation Committee's Charge. It was moved, seconded, and passed to suspend the rules to allow for a vote on this item. It was then moved, seconded, and passed to revise the Campus Recreation Committee's charge to include the term "the Student Recreation Center," in the charge.

Proposal for Assigning Committees and Task Forces to Council Standing Committees. Council member Jean Hamilton submitted a draft proposal for assigning oversight of faculty and campus committees of Faculty Council to the standing committees of Faculty Council. Approximately 8-10 committees of the campus would be assigned to each of the major standing committees of Faculty Council. The proposed list is available from the Faculty Council Office by contacting Becky Flanders. This proposal will be voted upon at the next Council meeting.

Revision of Campus Standing Committee on Administrative Review, Charge, and Guidelines. Dr. Jean Hamilton presented a draft statement for revising the charges and guidelines for the Campus Standing Committee on Administrative Review, specifically items 1,2,3,5, and 6. A full copy of the proposed revisions was provided to each Council member present. Dr. Hamilton then gave a complete and lengthy background statement on the history and purpose of this committee and its work. There was a lot of discussion on these proposed changes and the draft statement. This will become an action item at some future Council meeting.

Board of Curators Report

A four page, single spaced, copy of Ed's report on the November 9 meeting of the Board of Curators was handed out. A copy of this report is available from Becky Flanders in the Faculty Council Office.

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs: Glenn Pierce noted that the committee is busy and is continuing to meet with the Committee on Undergraduate Education.

Faculty Affairs: Jean Hamilton did not have any additional items under this category.

Fiscal Affairs: Mary Ellen Sievert reported that most of her appointments in Jesse Hall have been canceled. However, she is again setting up appointments with the appropriate people. She did note that she had been able to see Pat Morton.

Special Projects: Susan Taylor reported that the Special Projects Committee is working on revisions of the Faculty Handbook.

Student Affairs: Michael Porter reported that the Student Affairs Committee will be meeting with Dr. Schroeder on November 30.

Other Business

It was announced under other business that Dr. Jo Behymer will retire from the University of Missouri on January 31, 1996. It was widely acknowledged that everyone on Faculty Council will be very sorry to see Jo leave the university. Her excellent working relations with Council were acknowledged. She will be missed by all of us.

Closed Session and Adjournment

Faculty Council moved into Executive Session at 4:50 p.m. to discuss committee replacements and nominations for honorary degrees. Faculty Council adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert Almony, Recorder