Meeting Minutes: December 8, 1994

Attendance

Present were: Gary Allee, Lloyd Barrow, Hardeep Bhullar, Dale Blevins, Benedict Campbell, Leonard Forte, Allen Hahn, Peter Hall, Jean Hamilton, Edward Hunvald, Loren Nikolai, Larry Penney, Glenn Pierce, Patricia Plummer, Michael Porter, Michael Prewitt, Dennis Sentilles, Don Sievert, Mary Ellen Sievert, Fred Springsteel, Harry Tyrer, Joe Charlson, Bob Almony (Librarians), and Roy Utz (Retirees). Absent were: Vicki Conn, Jay Dix, Richard Hatley, Charles Knowles, Deborah Pearsall, Betty Winfield, and Mabel Grimes (Black Faculty & Staff).

Approval of Minutes

Chairman Ed Hunvald called the meeting to order in Room S110 in the Memorial Union at 3:40 p.m. The minutes of the November 17, 1994 meeting were approved without any changes. Fred Springsteel passed out a proposed correction of the General Faculty Minutes of 3/29/94. This will be considered at the next meeting of the Faculty Council.

Action Items

Assessment Committee Charge. Dr. Marty Townsend of the Academic Assessment Task Force (which the Assessment Committee would replace) made a presentation and suggested a change in the proposed charge. The purpose of the change was to give the committee more than advisory responsibilities. After discussion, it was moved and seconded to amend the proposed charge to the Academic Assessment Committee to read:

"To establish policy and advise the Provost regarding academic assessment issues, including determining assessment information needed, developing guidelines for assessment plans, and reviewing and recommending changes in assessment plans."

The amendment passed. The revised charge and membership guidelines were presented by Dale Blevins, Chairman of Student Affairs Committee. The motion, as amended, to establish the Academic Assessment Committee as a standing committee was approved. The committee will begin in the fall of 1995 and its members will be appointed in the spring of 1995.

Report of Officers

Chairman Hunvald reported that the campus administration has approved renumbering of courses for Medicine, Law, and Veterinary Medicine effective next fall. This approval will allow these schools to use 500 and 600 numbers.

Chairman Hunvald has received a note from Rob Logan which states that he has asked the new task force on Summer Welcome/Freshman Orientation to add a Faculty Council representative. "The task force wants to make orientation more academic and may recommend a university-wide orientation for new (and perhaps returning) students at the start of each fall." Rob Logan recommended that Faculty Council have a liaison.

Chairman Hunvald suggested that if the remainder of the agenda is finished quickly, Council could move into executive session to discuss the candidates for Provost. The special Council meeting (which was to take up this topic) scheduled for Tuesday, December 13, at 3:40 p.m. would be canceled. However, it would be replaced by a meeting of the Executive Committee with Vice Chancellor Charles Schroeder to discuss admissions and enrollment management. Because of the importance of these issues, all Council members would be invited to attend.

Pat Plummer reported that the revised grievance procedures are now out to the Chancellors for their review.

Pat Plummer would like to have all campus standing committees' charges reviewed in order to make them more precise. This will be referred to the Faculty Affairs Committee.

Discussion Items

Survey Update on the Library. Bob Almony reported for the Campus Library Committee, that to date, 550 surveys have been returned dealing with the Library storage issue. Of the surveys returned: 9 voted for option 1 [That we move ahead immediately with construction of a remote storage facility.]; 131 voted for option 2 [That we investigate requirements for a storage facility that provides short delivery time, browsable access, and other user-friendly features.]; and, 417 voted for option 3 [That we suspend plans for a remote storage facility and reexamine possibilities for storage at the Ellis Library location.].

Campus Standing Committee on Administrative Review

Discussion on the Divisional Reviews of Deans followed. The Faculty Council wishes to encourage the various divisions of the university to set up a schedule and to follow this schedule on the Divisional Reviews of Deans.

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs. No report.
Faculty Affairs. No report.
Fiscal Affairs. No report.

Special Projects

Glenn Pierce, chair of the Special Projects Committee, handed out an item from the University Bookstore. This handout is primarily a notice to faculty and staff that, "The University Bookstore is now able to receive your text adoptions by electronic mail." Members of Faculty Council will share this information with their various faculties.

Student Affairs. The Student Affairs Committee is meeting with the Missouri Students Association regarding student issues, especially those concerned with academic advising.

Closed Session

Faculty Council moved into closed session at 4:15 p.m. to discuss the Provost's candidates. Pat Plummer chaired this portion of the meeting since Ed Hunvald is the co-chair of the Provost Search Committee. [The results of the discussion regarding the Provost candidates were provided to the search committee and to the Chancellor on Friday, December 9.] Faculty Council was adjourned at 4:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, Robert Almony, Recorder