Meeting Minutes: November 3, 1994

Attendance

Present were: Gary Allee, Larry Petterborg (for Benedict Campbell), Betty Winfield, Charles O. Knowles, Dale Blevins, Bob Birkenholz, Nancy Knipping (for Lloyd Barrow), Pat Plummer, Ed Hunvald, Michael Porter, Harry Tyrer, Joe Charlson, Hardeep Bhullar, Allen Hahn, Jay Dix, Larry Penney, Dennis Sentilles, Mary Ellen Sievert, Don Sievert, Peter Hall, Vicki Conn, Glenn Pierce, Deborah Pearsall, Jean Hamilton, Bob Almony (Librarians), and Roy Utz (Retirees). Absent were: Leonard Forte, Loren Nikolai, Michael Prewitt, Fred Springsteel, and Mabel Grimes (Black Faculty & Staff).

Approval of Minutes

Chairman Ed Hunvald called the meeting to order in Room 110 in the Memorial Union at 3:40 p.m. The minutes of the September 13, 1994 General Faculty Meeting & the October 13, 1994 Faculty Council Meeting were approved without any changes.

Report of Officers

The Chair reported that Bill Bondeson has agreed to chair the Honorary Degrees Committee because of John Miles who has had to step down because of an illness. Peter Markie has agreed to serve on the Health Oversight Committee replacing William Griffith.

There has been a proposed change in the commencement schedule for this coming May and this involves a change in the academic calendar. This was discussed by the Executive Committee meeting with Gary Smith. During this meeting the Executive Committee stated they would support this change if the students agreed to a loss of Stop day next spring for this one year only. Gary Smith will be checking with MSA regarding this possible change.

Peter Hall reported on the meeting of the Missouri Association of Faculty Senates. He noted that there was much discussion of Amendment 7, discussion of the FIPSE grant fund proposal, and there was a speaker from the University of Illinois where the Illinois Association of Faculty Senates meets periodically with the Lt. Governor. They are discussing whether or not this should be considered for Missouri. The Missouri Association of Faculty Senates will meet here at MU on February 6, 1995.

The full committee list is now on INFORMU under the administrative section. A copy of the list was also recently published in Mizzou Weekly, and is available at the Reserve Desk in Ellis Library.

Jo Behymer reported that the self study prepared for the North Central Association accreditation is ready to be sent to the printer.

Actions Items

Faculty Council Standing Committee Appointments. The Chair announced that pending selection of regular members we have some substitute members on Faculty Council: Bob Birkenholz from Education, and Joe Charlson from Engineering. We still do not have anyone from Agriculture. The Executive Committee has approved the following committee assignments: Bob Birkenholz will serve on Student Affairs until his replacement is selected--and then his replacement will go on that committee. The substitutes for John Miles and Hildegarde Heymann will go on Special Projects. However, when the permanent member is selected by Agriculture, that person may go to another committee.

Parliamentarian. Bob Birkenholz is currently serving in that capacity and will continue to serve until a replacement has been selected from Education. Harry Tyrer has been asked and has agreed to be Parliamentarian at that point. Past practice has been for the chairperson to appoint the Parliamentarian. There were no objections to this practice being continued.

Discussion Items

Plus/Minus Grading. Before discussion began on the plus/minus grading proposal of the Academic Affairs Committee, Ed Hunvald reported that President Russell indicated at the IFC meeting that he will rescind the Executive Order on grading very soon and it will be up to each campus to decide on a grading scale to be used. Since Michael Prewitt, Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, was absent, Michael Porter led the discussion on this item. The plus/minus grading system presented to Faculty Council is for undergraduates only. During the discussion, it was moved, seconded, and passed to suspend the rules to allow a vote on this issue to occur today. Further discussion included, "How will this be shared/distributed to the faculty?". Also students will see this printed in the Undergraduate Catalog and in the M-Book. The new plus/minus grading system passed unanimously on a voice vote.

Board of Curators Report

Gary Allee made a few brief comments about the recent Board of Curators meeting on October 20 - 21, 1994 at the Reynolds Alumni Center. It appears to have been a relatively quiet and noncontroversial meeting.

Intercampus Faculty Council Report

Pat Plummer reported that President Russell will rescind his executive order on grading scales and the choice of scale remains with the campus. IFC will be collecting information and data from the Campus Health Oversight Committees and will devote the January meeting to discussion of the medical/insurance plans, GenCare's performance, etc. Work on administrative review, a U-wide Conflict of Interest statement, and support of a teaching/research infrastructure is continuing. A special Board of Curators meeting has been called for Monday, November 14 and the December board meeting moved to December 15-16.

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs: Report given above on plus/minus grading.

Faculty Affairs: They have been discussing tuition benefits for dependents of MU staff and faculty.

Fiscal Affairs: We have received a communication from Brady Deaton regarding the Financial Oversight Committee's suggested educational impact statements. The Fiscal Affairs Committee, the Executive Committee, and Council will discuss this at a later time.

Special Projects: Glenn Pierce reported that they are working on three projects. These include making committee assignments public more quickly, working with the Retirees Committee, and working with the Bookstore to devise more efficient ways of keeping faculty informed of the status of the bookorders for their classes.

Student Affairs: Dale Blevins will have an item for the next Executive Committee in which it will be proposed that the Academic Assessment Task Force become a regular campus standing committee. They will also draft a charge and proposal on how members should be selected.

Closed Session

Faculty Council moved into closed session at 4:30 p.m. Ed Hunvald gave a brief report on the Provost Search. Faculty Council will meet with the candidates on the following dates from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: November 29, December 1, December 5, and December 7. David Cowan was selected to serve on the Lloyd B. Thomas Lecture and Performance Series Program Selection Committee.

Faculty Council was adjourned at 4:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, .Bob Almony, Recorder