Meeting Minutes: April 13, 1995

Attendance

Present were: Lloyd Barrow, Dale Blevins, Benedict Campbell, Joe Charlson, Vicki Conn, Jay Dix, Allen Hahn, Peter Hall, Richard Hatley, Edward Hunvald, Charles Knowles, Loren Nikolai, Deborah Pearsall, Larry Penney, Glenn Pierce, Ron Plain, Patricia Plummer, Michael Porter, Michael Prewitt, Dennis Sentilles, Don Sievert, Mary Ellen Sievert, Harry Tyrer, Lillian Dunlap for Betty Winfield, Bob Almony (Librarians), Roy Utz (Retirees), and Mabel Grimes (Black Faculty & Staff). Absent were: Gary Allee, Hardeep Bhullar, Leonard Forte, Jean Hamilton, and Fred Springsteel.

Approval of Minutes

Chairman Ed Hunvald brought the meeting to order in Room S110 of the Memorial Union at 3:40 p.m. The minutes of the March 30, 1995 were approved as presented.

Report of Officers

The Executive Committee met with Charles Schroeder and others regarding the question of whether or not the rules on class attendance as stated in the M-book need to be clarified. There are three issues involved: 1) how to insure that the instructor's policy on class attendance is made clear at the beginning of the course; 2) whether, and how to apply, any policy relating to consideration of absences occasioned by institutional obligations, and in particular, problems raised by obligations that could not have been anticipated or foreseen at the beginning of the semester; and 3) how to emphasize the responsibility of students to contact the instructor and to work out any problems that arise. Faculty Council will be referring this matter to the Academic Affairs Committee who will work with Student Affairs on this matter.

The Chair reminded Council that the Faculty Council had endorsed a proposal to establish a Certificate in Environmental Affairs and since there was no faculty committee specifically designated to deal with such matters, Faculty Council sent the proposal (with our endorsement) to the Committee on Undergraduate Education. They, in turn, have sent the matter back to Faculty Council with a resolution requesting the establishment of a campus-wide Curriculum Committee to deal with, at a minimum cross-divisional programs and courses. Faculty Council has discussed this matter in the past and the consensus was that there should be such a committee. Therefore, Ed Hunvald has referred this matter to the Academic Affairs Committee to consider the composition and charge of such a committee and to work with the Provost Office and the Committee on Undergraduate Education.

The Committee on Undergraduate Education has adopted a resolution asking for a delay in the implementation of plus/minus grading. Ed Hunvald has drafted a letter suggesting that Mike Prewitt and he meet with that committee to see exactly what problems they are having. It is the opinion of the Executive Committee of Faculty Council that after two years work and consideration that solutions or methods of dealing with the various problems have already been proposed.

The North Central Accreditation visit will be April 24-26, 1995. In the tentative schedule, the Executive Committee will meet with some members of the visiting team on Tuesday, April 25, 1995.

Action Items

Resolution From the Health Oversight Committee. Dennis Sentilles presented a resolution to the Health Oversight Committee. The resolution is as follows:

"1) The general contract between GenCareSanus and UMC having been negotiated and agreed to, GenCareSanus is to remove itself from any particular doctor-patient relationship and see to it that any and all aspects of treatment (explicitly or implicitly, and beyond deductibles) ordered by the participating physician by paid, in a timely fashion. It is appropriate that GenCareSanus macro-manage the university health care plan, but not that it micro-manage it.

No patient should ever find him or herself made to negotiate with GenCareSanus in order to obtain coverage for what his or her participating physician orders or recommends.,

2) That GenCareSanus continue to actively encourage physicians to exercise their best professional judgment in treating every patient consistent solely with the health and well-being of that patient.

3) That employees or covered dependents in need of medical care outside the Columbia area and unable to return to Columbia for attention, receive exactly the same care and reimbursement that they would receive were they served in Columbia, in-so far as local conditions where they are served permit."

During discussion of the resolution, Dennis Sentilles told Faculty Council that he feels the resolution is consistent with the recent presentation of GenCare's representative to the Health Oversight Committee. The resolution was passed unanimously by Faculty Council. Pat Plummer will share this resolution with IFC.

Fee Cap Proposal. It was moved and seconded that Council endorses the idea of having a cap on fees for undergraduate students at 15 hours, and urges the Committee on Fee Structure to approve this for the university or to allow campuses to adopt such a proposal. This measure passed Council with one dissenting vote. A possible future proposal on a cap on fees for graduate students will be looked at next year.

Discussion Items

Admissions Policies. Charles Schroeder, Gary Smith, and Gary Pike were present to answer questions concerning the implementation of the admissions requirements approved by Council at the last meeting. Several handouts were made available to Council by Gary Pike. These included: 1) a set of summary pages of results for various prediction models for the academic year beginning in the fall of 1996; and 2) a document entitled "Development of a Predictive Model for Use in Admissions Decisions at the University of Missouri-Columbia" prepared by Gary Pike. Copies of these documents may be obtained from Becky Flanders in the Faculty Council office. It was pointed out that the main reason for increasing the admissions requirements at MU is to give our students a greater likelihood of graduating in the future. Gary Smith announced that once these new admissions standards have been approved at the various campus levels they will be taken to the Board of Curators as soon as possible. Then the Admissions Office will begin getting information out to high school counselors in the state as quickly as possible later this spring, so that they will have the information in hand by late spring or early summer.

Academic Advising. Dale Blevins made available a report from the Student Affairs Committee. His full report is included herein.

"Since late last fall I have been meeting with Ms. Stacy Shimkovitz, who represents the Student Affairs equivalent of MSA. Stacy indicated that a poll of undergraduates last fall reported that one of the top concerns is academic advising. The MSA committee directed Stacy to work through Faculty Council to determine if a coalition of faculty and students could implement change in the quality of academic advising. I began our discussions by giving her the report from the Task Force on Undergraduate Advising. Later we interviewed Jo Behymer and had a meeting with Charles Schroeder, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. In the meeting with Vice Chancellor Schroeder, we decided to call a meeting of a larger group to gather information on all the things going on in the area of academic advising and to determine how the report for the Task Force was being implemented. On March 28, Stacy and I met with Charles Schroeder, Jo Behymer, Gil Porter, Bill Stringer, Bonnie Zelenek and Gary Pike, several others were invited but were out of town. As a result of the meeting it became apparent that the Chancellor intends to enact most of the Task Force recommendations. One key may be the appointment in February of Gil Porter as Coordinator of Campus Advisement. In addition, 12 retired faculty members have agreed to serve as supplemental advisors for students on matters such as time management, study skills, career exploration and personal growth. Divisional Deans have supported the professional development of professional advisors by sending over a dozen professional advisors to national and regional meetings on academic advising. In addition nine students now represent undergraduates on the Committee on Undergraduate Education and these students also serve as a group ombudsman to deal with student concerns about advising.

At the March 28 meeting, it was determined that several departments need to develop Handbooks to assist undergraduates during registration. Evidently almost all departments had Handbooks in the past but they have been dropped or have fallen out of date in several departments. Departments will be encouraged to develop or update Handbooks and the Handbooks will be put into a "web" for computer access. It was deemed important to provide students information on course requirements for majors from as many sources as possible. Another important point is that faculty must see academic advising as an important task and we must reward our peers for good work in this area when we serve on promotion and tenure committee or on committees that make recommendations on salary adjustments."

U.S. Senate Bill 314. It was moved, seconded, and passed to bring a prior resolution off the table to discuss Senate Bill 314. It was then moved, seconded, and passed that the MU Faculty Council is opposed to Senate Bill 314, as stated, and urges faculty members to contact their U.S. Senator to vote against U.S. Senate Bill 314. Standing Committee Reports Special Projects. Joe Charlson and Glenn Pierce met with Bill Pfander of the Retirees Organization and discussed the possibility of an informal lounge where faculty members would be able to meet. This is their main project and it will be worked on when they get their office next to Faculty Council's office in Jesse Hall next fall.

Closed Session and Adjournment

Faculty Council moved into closed session at 4:45 p.m. for approval of honorary degree candidates. Faculty Council was adjourned at 4:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, Robert A. Almony, Jr., Recorder