Meeting Minutes: December 8, 2016

Attendance

Members present: Randy Diamond (for Anne Alexander), Christi Bergin, David Bergin, Tina Bloom, John Gahl, Trent Guess, Casandra Harper, Christina Mislan (for Berkley Hudson), Art Jago, Teng Lim, Tony Lupo, Leslie Lyons, John Middleton, Clark Peters, Jeffrey Rouder, Rebecca Scott, Marcia Shannon, Anne Stanton, Marty Steffens, Mary Stegmaier, Kristin Taylor, Ben Trachtenberg, Vitor Trindade, William Wiebold, Robert Winholtz, Flore Zephir, Rebecca Graves (Librarians), Karen Piper (AAUP), and Rebekah Hart (Council Secretary). Members absent: Sheila Baker, Francisco Gomez, Dennis Kelley, Naresh Khatri, Camila Manrique, Patrick Shiu, Mahesh Thakkar, and Don Sievert (MURA).

Approval of Minutes

Chair Trachtenberg called the meeting to order at 3:31 p.m. The minutes of the 11-17-2016 meeting were approved as presented.

Report of Officers

Trachtenberg met with lawyers from the UM General Counsel’s office regarding chalking on campus, as well as other proposed amendments to the BPPM suggested by Council.  Hoping to hear back regarding this and sound amplification soon. 

Update regarding MU Chancellor: there will be a national search and incoming UM System President Choi, acting thru proxies, will be putting together a search committee with robust faculty representation.  Faculty Council (FC) and student groups likely to be asked to have a representative on committee. 

Trachtenberg attended an Administrative Leadership Meeting hosted by campus administration on November 30.  Interim Chancellor Hank Foley and others presented to campus leaders, such as deans, associate deans, department chairs, and vice chancellors.  First of its kind at MU.  As Trachtenberg was the only Council member invited, he suggested to Foley that more FC members be invited to future meetings.  Foley agreed.  The next meeting will be January 31, 2017.

Foley reiterated adoption on campus of “open book management.”  Faculty and staff can ask for budget information as all financial staff have been told to share this information.  Foley also discussed People First concept which recognizes people for their work.  Without money for raises, the need for intangible recognition is even more important.  “Gainsharing,” where the employee who suggests ways to cut costs (or raise additional revenue) gets to share in benefit, was also discussed.  FC Fiscal Affairs committee has agreed to work with Rhonda Gibler to make sure this doesn't take off without faculty input.

Provost Garnett Stokes reported on the process by which academic units are formalizing their workload policies.  Vice Provost Pelema Morrice then presented on enrollment management.  Foley and Vice Chancellor Rhonda Gibler presented on budget based upon enrollment projections and expectations about state funding.  Units have been told to prepare for another 5% budget cut of general operating funds (the same as was enacted for the current academic year).  If we end up further in the hole, the additional shortfall will be made up from reserves.  Foley discussed possibility of getting additional money, noting differential tuition as an example.  Such plans would depend upon changes in Missouri law; it’s too soon to know if newly elected officials would support this. 

Search for the A&S dean announced; however, there has been no progress.  Faculty in A&S should ask if they are okay with search being postponed for another year as this is a short time window.  The Library Director search has the complication that an outside person would want resources.  On the other hand, it is unfair to ask acting director to continue indefinitely in that role.  Stokes will be meeting with the Library Committee to see what can be done there.

Arranged for System President Choi to come to a special General Faculty Meeting on March 22, 2017.  The regular Spring General Faculty Meeting has been moved to March 15, 2017. 

Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) - Wiebold

Marty Oetting, Director of Governmental Relations updated group on possible effects on MU from fall elections. Tax revenues are lower than estimates used in state budget forecasts. This may result in withholdings shortly after January 1.

Possible changes to CRR related to post-tenure review have been distributed to faculty councils/senates for review. Changes have also been sent to the four provosts.

A draft document on “Standards of faculty conduct” was discussed. This document could possibly replace a portion of section 300.010 of MU faculty bylaws, “Procedures Governing the Disposition of Charges of Faculty Irresponsibility.” Apparently, other campuses do not have a similar procedure. If the draft document is accepted by the four campuses, MU must discuss effects on current procedures (e.g., would we amend our faculty bylaws).

Emily Love and Marsha Fischer led discussion about CRR changes related to equity, diversity, and discrimination.

Emily Love also provided an update on the UM System’s Inclusive Excellence Framework.  She stated that the framework is intended to set the stage for future work at the UM System, as a catalyst for institutional and educational excellence.  She requested that IFC take the framework to the campuses, asking for feedback.  She requested discussion and comments at the February IFC meeting.

Two action items were completed. It was moved and seconded that “IFC recommend that no further action is necessary on the issue of candidate access to external review letters in the Promotion and Tenure process at this time.”  The motion was passed unanimously. It was moved and seconded that “Total Rewards Advisory Committee include at least 50% faculty and the faculty be distributed across all campuses.”  Motion was passed unanimously.

Action Items

Report from Faculty Affairs Committee on post-tenure review proposals received from Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) – Bloom.  IFC meeting in December so FC members who represent MU on IFC would prefer input now. The Faculty Affairs Committee received feedback on white paper, while the CRR proposals had fewer recommendations.  Faculty Affairs is not ready to make a recommendation at this time and FC is not ready to vote.  White paper is off the table.  Looking only at the CRR.  Faculty Affairs committee will have a concrete report a week before the FC January 2017 meeting. 

Discussion Items

Guests: Pelema Morrice, Vice Provost, Enrollment Management & Gary Ward, Vice Chancellor for Operations.  Trachtenberg introduced Morrice.  Morrice is new to Mizzou and Missouri but not to the enrollment management role.  His presentation focused on the work he has been and is doing for his first 90 days.  He will have an assessment report to Provost Stokes at the end of this time.  Morrice described enrollment management and noted that everything faculty do that is successful impacts enrollment.  There have been unprecedented applicant pool losses of majority students for F2016, with similar results projected for F2017.  This is not what is happening at other universities across country.  Morrice presented a case study of the “University of Okoboji” (name changed to protect the university) that had a significant event F2014 that impacted enrollment.  U of Okoboji had F2015 & F2016 applicant losses similar to ours.  Their F2017 applicant base shows a minor increase.  If we do nothing, i.e., no extra recruiting, promotion, etc. (and no adverse events), then we might have a similar pattern.  MU had a drop in market share F2016.  F2017 applicant pool is also trending down, that is, similar numbers as F2016, not a further drop.  F2018 applicant pool expected to be up. 

Traditional MU enrollment approaches have been admissions focused.  With large numbers dropping out, it’s about image, marketing.  Need to ramp up beyond admissions centric focus.  Seven to ten years out, we will see dip in number of high school graduates. Need to focus on awareness, branding campaign, drive campus visitors, review admissions criteria. We need to have a standing enrollment committee and an overarching student achievement plan.  Morrice wants to have an enrollment management executive committee by March 2017.  Historically defined success by size of incoming class.  Hope to broaden that definition to include measures such as student retention, persistence efforts, degree program offerings, etc. 

Questions focused on possible other factors for drop in applicants and if admissions have done qualitative studies on the narrative of students who have not come to MU.  Evidence points to protests on campus as being the biggest factor in drop.  They are working on such a study now.

Gary Ward proposed a draft Space Utilization Strategy to help with the pressure on facilities maintenance budget.  He explained that there are two kinds of buildings on campus:  auxiliary, and education and general (E&G) buildings.  Auxiliary buildings are self-funding, such as the hospital, rec center, and dining halls.  E&G buildings receive money from state & tuition (e.g., lecture halls, faculty offices, labs). The proposal only concerns the E&G buildings. Ward gave a detailed history of the campus maintenance budget and facilities funding.  Amount has been decreasing since 1998-99.  Result is that less has been spent on proactive maintenance.  Therefore, many buildings have become more expensive to maintain than to tear down and rebuild. 

Ward wants to make the campus smaller, i.e., tear down some old buildings.  Eliminate 250,000 gross square feet (GSF) or more of campus building area through demolition. (Campus currently has 6,900,000 GSF.) This is a partial solution to the problem.  He requested that we move forward and explore the concept of demolishing buildings and reducing GSF on campus.  We need a strategy about how we best utilize space, and where can we reduce.  Question, can you do what you need to do in smaller but better space? 

Questions were raised as to what sites of demolished buildings will be used for, if there is unused space on campus, who will be making these decisions, will the proposal address issues of building air quality and vermin.  Some buildings will be rebuilt such as music & art.  We need to have the faculty, staff, and students involved in these discussions, and Ward does think that there is unused or underutilized space on campus.  He had not heard of the problems with air quality and vermin and will speak with the person who raised the issue.

Trachtenberg asked FC if they wanted to send Ward's proposal to the Campus Space Utilization Committee and the Campus Facilities Planning Committee to review.  The committees will be charged to work together to look at the proposal (and the consultant reports described by Ward) and reply to FC by April 1 saying whether FC should support this proposal.   Vote call.  FC approved sending proposals to committees noted above. 

Proposed changes to Faculty Council's election rules – Wiebold.  Bill Wiebold summarized that a decade ago the rules were changed to allow electronic ballots.  However, this complicated the process, and FC Exec thinks going back to paper ballots in closed session would simplify things.  Rules circulated would replace in entirety the existing Council election rules in the Rules of Order.  FC will vote in January whether to adopt these rules. If adopted, Council members absent during elections meetings can send substitutes.  If adopted, they will be used in Sprint 2017.  Please come to the next meeting informed.

Faculty Affairs Resolution On Development Of Workload Policies – Bloom.  Resolution supporting actions of Provost Stokes circulated prior to meeting.  Provost Stokes has called for Deans to submit workload policies for academic units and has stated that both tenured/tenure-track and non-tenure track faculty should be represented in this process.  If resolution passes, it will be circulated to all deans and department chairs.  There was no discussion.  Motioned to vote today.  All voted in favor of suspending rules in order to vote today.  Resolution was approved.

Representation Report – Trachtenberg.  A faculty census is done each year to determine Faculty Council representation for schools and colleges (based on the number of T/TT faculty).  Using the divisor of 44 keeps the seats the same as this year.  This is for seats elected by schools and colleges which are only for tenured/tenure-track faculty.  NTT is another issue; the NTT members of Council are elected campus wide.  Motioned and approved to suspend rules in order to vote today.  Approved.  Voted to use divisor of 44.  Approved.

Standing Committee Reports

no reports

Adjournment

Closed session business to discuss Faculty Council award nominations postponed to January meeting. 

Council adjourned at 5:08 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted,

Rebecca Graves, Recorder