Meeting Minutes: November 3, 2016

Attendance

Members present: Anne Alexander, Sheila Baker, Christi Bergin, David Bergin, Tina Bloom, John Gahl, Francisco Gomez, Trent Guess, Casandra Harper, Berkley Hudson, Art Jago, Dennis Kelley, Naresh Khatri, Teng Lim, Tony Lupo, Leslie Lyons, Camila Manrique, John Middleton, Chris Peters, Jeffrey Rouder, Rebecca Scott, Marcia Shannon, Marty Steffens, Kristin Taylor, Ben Trachtenberg, Vitor Trindade, William Wiebold, Robert Winholtz, Flore Zephir, Rebecca Graves (Librarians), Karen Piper (AAUP), and Rebekah Hart (Council Secretary). Members absent: Patrick Shiu, Anne Stanton, Mary Stegmaier, Mahesh Thakkar, and Don Sievert (MURA).

Approval of Minutes

Chair Trachtenberg called the meeting to order at 3:31 p.m. The minutes of the 10-19-16 General Faculty Meeting were approved as amended, and the minutes of the 10-20-2016 Faculty Council meeting were approved as presented.

Report of Officers

Trachtenberg reminded council members of the additional Faculty Council meeting on December 8th.   He welcomed back Karen Piper who is the newly-selected AAUP representative to Council.  Welcomed in spirit the new University of Missouri System President, Mun Choi.  Looking forward to meeting him and hearing from him.  Special thanks to Stephanie Shoneken who did a ton of work on the search committee.  Congratulations to those recognized last night at the faculty awards dinner.  The Campus Climate survey closes tomorrow night.  Please take it. 

The business policy and procedure manual (BPPM) changes approved at the last Council meeting were forwarded to Interim Chancellor Foley.  Foley was positive about the changes though he wants to speak more about the change regarding distribution of publications; Trachtenberg will report as discussions occur. The change concerning what to do when approached by the media was approved Foley.

 

Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC)

Bill Wiebold reported that the IFC met on October 27, 2016 using Telepresence.   Membership of Total Rewards Advisory Committee (TRAC) was discussed. TRAC serves in an advisory capacity in matters related to benefits programs and in the treatment of pay and benefits as interrelated parts of the UM System’s overall Total Rewards (from web site). Only four of the 14 committee members are faculty members. Consensus was that that number is too low.  A preliminary report from the Standards of Conduct Taskforce was discussed. The proposed Standards of Conduct are similar to the section of MU’s faculty bylaws, “Procedures Governing the Disposition of Charges of Faculty Irresponsibility.” Apparently the other three campuses do not have a codified faculty irresponsibility process. The task force continues to fine tune the report. 

Marsha Fischer and Emily Love reported on the proposed collected rule changes from the diversity audit. Similar to report given by Ms. Fischer to FC.  Leona Rubin provided information about MyVITA. May the force be with us.  Paul Maguffee discussed external review letters for promotion and tenure. Apparently, some colleges/departments allow candidates to see these letters. Should the rules be more explicit on protocol?

Action Items

Proposed changes to the Business Policy and Procedures Manual (BPPM) related to free expression (chalking and sound amplification) – Jago.  Jago reviewed revisions to the motion on sound amplification which was sent prior to the last FC last meeting and again yesterday. No discussion.  Call for vote.  Motion passed.  Trachtenberg noted that if Jesse Hall has a materially different version, he will bring this back to Council. (He noted that parallel efforts to improve the BPPM are already in motion among administrators.)

Revised chalking proposal sent out yesterday.  Hybrid of Jago's and Bob Jerry's proposals.  Allows chalking depending upon location.  Discussion ensued regarding detail of language allowing chalking and on effective rules.  Motion made to amend proposal by changing wording to:  “chalking is permitted unless it is within the scope of Section C” (thereby removing the content-based restriction in the draft as presented).  Motion seconded.  Vote called.  Amendment carried.  Discussion, none.  Call for vote.  Amended motion approved.

Discussion Items

Guests: Ellen Eardley, Assistant Vice Chancellor & Title IX Administrator; Bob Jerry, Isidor Loeb Professor of Law and Chair of the Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Protests, Public Spaces, Free Speech, and the Press (presenting commendations of the committee). Ellen Eardley encouraged FC to be ambassadors for the Office for Civil Rights & Title IX.  She reviewed the charge and history of the office.  The consolidation of several other offices and functions has resulted in better services to the MU community. Eardley detailed how their time and effort is spent and noted that they will be sending out a report soon on where they think the big issues are.  She reviewed reporting procedures and policies. 

Trachtenberg noted that the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Civil Rights/Title IX is excellent (in terms of clarity, brevity, and precision) even if you disagree with it.  He asked Tina Bloom, chair of the Ad Hoc Committee to brief us on key points. Ultimately the IFC delegation from this campus will go to the IFC meeting and report on our campus’s view regarding these changes.  Purpose today is to discuss this, then vote in two weeks whether FC endorses the recommendations from the ad hoc committee. 

Tina Bloom stated that they are building on the work done last year (by committee chaired by Cooper Drury).  Looking at places where policies were bumpy and could be improved.  Had some data to see how this worked on the ground.  Looked at recommendations from last year.  Looked at System diversity audit.  Talked to stakeholders.  Didn’t have a lot of time but wanted to engage faculty in conversation on how CRRs work.  Report was sent out to FC this morning.  Bloom detailed the process of the committee and noted that in the future they want to work on pregnancy and parenting issues/discrimination.  Discovered very scattered policies for faculty and staff regarding parenting, leave, discrimination.  No policies at all for students.  Art Jago raised the concern about representation by counsel.  It is important that an accused be represented.  Can their advisor(s) speak during the hearing?   Bloom noted that up to hearing, advisors can speak.  Trachtenberg requested FC members read the report if they have not already done so, and to also give thought to Jago's concerns.  The IFC reps will work to sell whatever FC approves. 

Bob Jerry and Christina Wells presented the work of the Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Protests, Public Spaces, Free Speech, and the Press.  Committee charged by Trachtenberg and Foley in January to look at these issues.  Made initial report in March on commitment to free expression.  FC supported the principles in that initial report at an April vote.  Committee then made additional report in May suggesting rules for campus.  Thought reports should be discussed.  Held two forums this fall.  Email discussions this summer.  October 12 came together for new draft. Finished October 28.  Summarized differences in this report from May report. Committee recommends Council adopt proposal and send to chancellor. Adoption of the report was moved, and discussion ensued.

Questions focused on camping and police protection for students.  Camping regulations are conduct regulations, not expression regulations. Regulating camping is not regulating speech.  Prohibiting camping doesn’t prohibit all-night protests or a tent under which to protest all night long. Regarding role of police in protecting protestors, the committee didn't try to draft protocols in this area.

 

Standing Committee Reports

Academic Affairs (Jago).  The committee has met with Dr. Dorina Mitrea, Chair of the Campus Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee, concerning measures of teaching effectiveness used in the P&T process, specifically the Student Evaluations of Teaching (SET’s) and Peer Evaluations.  We also discussed the university’s “course repeat” policies, for which we anticipate making no recommendation for changes.  If you have opinions about teaching evaluations or the course repeat policies that you wish the committee to consider, please send Jago your thoughts.

 

Faculty Affairs (Bloom).  We met last week and are deep into the review of the post-tenure review draft documents from IFC (Intercampus Faculty Council).

 

Fiscal Affairs (Gahl).  Next week the committee will be meeting with Vice Chancellor Gibler with regard to a number of topics. We will be asking for data from the various academic and nonacademic units on how this year’s budget cuts were dealt with. We will discuss the establishment or re-activation of campus committee(s) to address fundamental issues of income generation and cost control. We will be asking for any preliminary visibility on next year’s budget. If there are any specific topics you would like us to raise with her please contact Gahl.

Another reminder: We encourage you to contact your college or unit’s Chief Financial Officer to request a presentation of your unit’s budget situation to your faculty. Vice Chancellor Gibler has instructed the CFOs to make such presentations. Please let Gahl know if you have any difficulties.

Student Affairs (Zephir).  Committee met with Vice Chancellor Cathy Scroggs to discuss issues related to drinking alcohol, specifically underage drinking, and to see what members of Student Affairs can do to reduce problem. 

Adjournment

Faculty Council went into closes session at 5:00 p.m. to discuss campus and faculty standing committees.  Council adjourned at 5:04 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Rebecca Graves, Recorder