Meeting Minutes: August 2, 2007

Attendance

Present: Doug Abrams, Edward Adelstein, Michael Devaney, Michael Diamond, Jay Dow, Arthur Jago, Brick Johnstone, Carol Lazzaro-Weis, Lloyd Barrow (for Rebecca McCathren), Steve Neal, Joe Parcell, Tom Phillips, Leona Rubin, Frank Schmidt, Michael Taksar, James Tarr, Bill Wiebold, Geoffrey Swindells (Library), G.B. Thompson for Dean Yarwood (Retirees), Lori McKinley (NTT), Fred Williams (NTT), and Rebekah K. Hart (sec.). Absent: Joanne Banks-Wallace, Dorothy Bolch, Charles Borduin, Leah Cohn, Clark Gantzer, Bryan Garton, Norman Land, Alan Luger, Kenneth MacLeod, Anand Prahlad, J. Wilson Watt, Adrienne Hoard (Black Faculty & Staff), Bennett Greenspan (AAUP), and Vern Pierce (NTT). Retiring Members Present: Rex Campbell, Bill Lamberson, and Laura Schopp. Retiring Members Absent: Ron Harstad, Sudarshan Loyalka, Jenice Prather-Kinsey, James Sterling, and Lisa Zanetti.

Approval of Minutes

Chair Campbell called the meeting to order at 3:30 p.m., in room S203 Memorial Union. The March 8, 2007, March 22, 2007, April 17, 2007 general faculty meeting, April 19, 2007 and May 3, 2007 meeting minutes were approved as submitted. [Campbell announced that the order of the meeting changed to accommodate Council's guests first, then the remaining meeting would follow.]

Report of Officers

Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) Representative Schmidt reported that IFC did not meet over the summer. The presidential search is actively underway and there will be more candidates and interviews.

Board of Curators Observer Abrams reported on the recent Board meeting in Marceline, Missouri. The Board discussed the replacement of Marvin Wright, University General Counsel. They currently have received 25 applications. The Board has received a report from Interim President Gordon H. Lamb and Chancellor Brady Deaton concerning the ramification of the ever rising tuition and their attempts to provide additional monies. The Board approved two new masters degree programs.

Chair Campbell delivered his last report as Chairman of the Faculty Council as he is both stepping down and also retiring from the University. His report contained the following items: (a) his appreciation for the trust placed in him and the work of the faculty; (b) reminded us about the Spelling report; (c) informed us that this is the year to review the changes to the grievance process and if no action is taken, we will go back to the previous plan; (d) an extensive and comprehensive program evaluation; (e) now classified as 90 low producing programs, which make up 40 percent of the graduate programs on campus. Campbell then turned the chairship over to Schmidt for the remainder of the meeting.

Discussion Items

Guests: James Scott, Associate Vice Provost for International Initiatives Director of International Center. Dr. Scott described the importance of the global community and that the University was fully engaged by both students, and programs in this endeavor. He believes these programs are extremely important in the future of this institution. The international program specifically deals with: visa procurement, orientation of the student, provides study abroad programs for our students, and manages 145 international agreements. There are currently 1,350 foreign students and most of them are in graduate programs. The Faculty Council was appreciative of his presentation, the information he distributed, and recognized the value of his program.

I to F for Deployed Veterans - Lamberson. Lamberson brought two items to Faculty Council. The first item is that students who are called to serve in the military are automatically exempted from getting an INC or a non-recorded grade one year prior or during the time of the course shall receive a suspended grade indefinitely. Council voted to suspend the rules then Council passed this item unanimously.

"Faculty Handbook: Credits and Grades Article VII

C. Incomplete work (grade of I). (As amended Oct 21, 2004; Effective Fall Semester 2005) Whenever a student cannot be assigned a grade at the end of a course in which he/she has been enrolled because his/her work is for good reason incomplete, the instructor will postpone the grade of the student, reporting to the Registrar the fact that such student's grade is I. An I grade may be assigned only when (1) the completed portion of the student's work in the course is of passing quality, and (2) there is such evidence of hardship as to make it unjust to hold the student to the time limits previously fixed for the completion of his/her work. Each department of the schools and colleges will maintain a card file record of I grades recorded in courses of that department. (Exemption: research courses and problems courses related to research assignments numbered 4950-4959 or 4995). This record on a specially designated card completed by the instructor at the time the I grade is awarded, will include:
1. The name of the student;
2. The course number, title, and semester hours of credit;
3. Semester and year of enrollment;
4. The signature of the instructor;
5. A brief statement of the reason for delaying the grade;
6. An adequate guide for the removal of the I grade (with a suggested final grade in the event of the departure or extended absence of the instructor from the campus).

A copy of the card will accompany the grade report to the University Registrar's Office, which will in turn notify the appropriate dean. An undergraduate student who receives an "I" grade must complete the course requirements either (1) within one year from the date it was recorded (unless the course is numbered 4950-4959 or 4995), or (2) before the date of graduation (whichever comes first). When an incomplete is satisfactorily resolved, the faculty member responsible for the grade change will notify the Registrar of the revised grade. Otherwise, the Registrar will remove the "I" and record a grade of "F" in classes graded A-F or a grade of "U" in classes graded S/U. Any student planning to graduate with an unresolved "I" grade should be aware that translation to an "F" could drop the GPA below the requirements for graduation. As with any academic deficiency, the low GPA would delay the student's graduation until all requirements for graduation are met.

Students called to Active Military Duty will be exempted from the one-year automated changes of I to F grades for the term of deployment and the year prior to deployment. In accordance with State statute, students may complete work upon their return from duty or may choose to maintain the I grade. Therefore, I grades for students called to Active Military Duty will remain listed as "I" until a change of grade is submitted by the faculty member, or indefinitely, if so desired by the student.

E. Unassigned grades for undergraduate students: As amended May 19, 2005; effective Fall Semester 2005. In situations when there is a failure to record a grade on the official grade sheet, the Registrar will record a NR (not reported) and send a written notification of this action to the faculty member and relevant department chair. The faculty member is responsible for submitting a corrected entry. After 12 months NR will change to an F. Any student planning to graduate with an unresolved "NR" grade should be aware that translation to an "F" could drop the GPA below the requirements for graduation. As with any academic deficiency, the low GPA would delay the student's graduation until all requirements for graduation are met. Students called to Active Military Duty will be exempted from the one-year automated changes of NR to F grades for the term of deployment and the year prior to deployment. In accordance with State statute, student may choose to maintain the NR grade. Therefore, NR grades for students called to Active Military Duty will remain listed as "NR" until a change of grade is submitted by the faculty member, or indefinitely, if so desired by the student."

The second item is that presently students who do not immediately enroll in internships, special readings, problem and research should have penalties removed. There was general agreement that this is appropriate and it will be put on the next Council agenda for a vote.

Name Restoration. Council moved to suspend the rules in order to allow this item to be added to this meeting's agenda. Schmidt distributed a resolution to Council and those in attendance, calling for a restoration in the naming of the Columbia campus. After some discussion it was decided to bring this item back to Council at their next meeting.

Standing Committee Reports

Student Affairs: Devaney, chair, reported that he has received a complaint of a student that there was limited security in the parking garages of the Medical Center. This is to be discussed at our next meeting following discussion in executive committee.

Adjournment

The meeting went into a brief closed session for elections and committee appointments. A very brief meeting of executive committee followed for approval of the 2007-2008 Council schedule. The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.