Meeting Minutes: February 9, 2006

Attendance

Present: Edward Adelstein, Elizabeth Baker, Rex Campbell, Leah Cohn, Michael Devaney, Pat Fry, Clark Gantzer, Catherine Holland, Philip Johnson, Michael Kramer, Bill Lamberson, Alan Luger, Carlo Morpurgo (for Kenneth MacLeod), Steven Neal, Tom Phillips, Eileen Porter, Tushar Ghosh (for Mark Prelas), Frank Schmidt, Laura Schopp, Flore Zephir, Michael Muchow (Librarians), Dean Yarwood (Retirees), and Rebekah K. Hart (secretary). Absent: Ken Benson, Charles Borduin, Bruce Bullock, Anand Prahlad, Jenice Prather-Kinsey, Jim Sterling, Michael Taksar, Wilson Watt, Roger Worthington, Lisa Zanetti, Adrienne Hoard (Black Faculty & Staff), and Andrew Simpson (AAUP).

Approval of Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Chair William Lamberson at 3:30 p.m. in S203 Memorial Union. Minutes of the meeting on January 19, 2006 were approved.

Report of Officers

William Lamberson, Chair, reported that the packet of materials seeking volunteers for committee work has been distributed and asked Council members to encourage colleagues to serve. He reported that the breakfast with the Curators had been well attended and that the program keyed to economic development appeared to be well received. He reported that he had been advised that all students enrolling at the university will be in the PeopleSoft program by Fall 2007. With respect to the Intercampus Faculty Council and Board of Curators meetings, he reported that each body had discussed budgetary issues and that, assuming the 2% increase in budgets projected by the Governor, a tuition increase of approximately 7% would be required to meet expenses. Lamberson reported that probably, after various initiatives are underway, there will be funds available for an increase of about 2% for faculty salaries. With respect to the 10% of administrative costs to be cut, he reported that this is to be a reallocation of funds, rather than a simple cut.

Frank Schmidt, Vice-Chair, reported that he had met with the Missouri Association of Faculty Senates. This group met with legislators, emphasizing the state-wide mandate of higher education rather than individual campuses. He stated that there are champions for higher education in the legislature and stated that in general the tone of that meeting was positive. The dark cloud comes from the litigation involving K-12 schools, which seek full funding. On the brighter side, Senator Nadler indicated that with resolution of the name change for the school in Springfield, much of the former divisiveness has disappeared. No complaints were heard about tenure, intelligent design, etc. The general consensus amongst the representatives of the senates was that future planning should include more emphasis on students and that the groups should coordinate with various bodies to bring our message to the legislature. In response to a question about the sale of MOHELA proposed by Governor Blunt, Schmidt noted that all of the campuses need capital expenditures and the MOHELA sale may provide needed funds.. The case is being made that research drives economic development; care must be taken to insure that this does not result in dilution of the campuses through the development of research centers elsewhere.

Laura Schopp, Observer to the Board of Curators, reported on the meeting of the Board of Curators. She stated that Marty Oetting, Director of Government Relations, reported to the Executive Committee that they are trying to keep the allocation for the health building. One curator was concerned about a student event at University of Missouri-St. Louis and the chancellor at UMSL addressed his concerns. Some curators are concerned that students are asked to shoulder all increases in costs. They question the level of benefits provided to employees, as contrasted with commercial entities, and suggest that tenure gets in the way of a flexible work force. Two of the curators defended the faculty during this discussion. Schopp stated that costs of post-retirement health care is a major concern for some of the curators.

With respect to capital projects, it appears building proposals will be approved but concern was expressed about using bonds for funding. In April the curators are to get information about the 10% reallocation of administrative costs. Lamberson noted that the two approved capital improvements on campus are to be funded by recovery of facilities and administration funds. Schmidt noted that the curators' discussion of efficiency and tenure relied heavily on the report of the chair of the St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank. He further noted that that report relied heavily on two sources, reports prepared by political organizations. He urged that faculty point out that the sources are position papers rather than factual analyses. Schopp stated she believed still more education of curators was needed concerning the mission and benefits of the universities. The MOHELA sale is seen as a one-time opportunity to fund capital improvements.

Rex Campbell, IFC Representative, reported that the Intercampus Faculty Council discussed the Governor's proposed budget. He stated the deans and chancellors must provide plans for the reallocation of administrative expenses by April l, with decisions on the acceptance of those plans expected by July 1. Campbell stated the most recent meeting of the IFC focused on administration and how administrators are to be evaluated. There are many differences in how the evaluations are done on the different campuses. Efforts are underway to coordinate these evaluations methods more.

Campbell also reported that the work on proposals concerning non-tenure track faculty are well underway. These proposals will go to the IFC at their next meeting and then move to the campuses for review and approval. He did not believe there would be as many changes proposed for our campus as for others. The proposal calls for fixing categories of non-tenure track faculty, to include research, teaching, clinical and extension positions, with assistant, associate and full ranks. He is not sure how the individual campuses will implement this proposal. Questions were raised concerning the use of the label 'non-tenure track' to describe this group of faculty, but Campbell noted that in focus groups these faculty preferred this label to others.

Action Items

Nominating Committee. Eileen Porter, Chair of the Nominating Committee, presented the report of the nominating committee, which proposed that the calendar specified in the election rules be modified to accelerate the steps by one meeting, since the council does not have a May 2006 meeting scheduled. Under the proposal, the slate will be reported to the council at the first April meeting, nominees' statements are to be submitted to the office before the first April meeting. The slate and nominees' statements will be circulated to voting members of the council one week before the last April meeting and the elections meeting will be the last April meeting of the council. The motion of the nominating committee was approved unanimously.

Faculty Fora. Lamberson noted that two faculty fora are being planned. One forum would discuss proposals for the extension of the tenure clock for new parents and discuss issues of faculty governance. In addition there is to be a discussion of the work of the research incentive committee. Schmidt reported that the task force on research incentives is reporting to Dr. Coleman but the members believe that the issues being discussed are sufficiently important to faculty that faculty should have a voice in the decisions to be made. Dr. Coleman will report to faculty on this work. The first of the fora will be held on March 8 in the Walt Disney Room at 3:00 p.m.

Lori Franz reported that a second forum is proposed to discuss athletic oversight. An outline of the proposed forum was distributed. She noted that the intention is primarily to look at the processes for oversight and give faculty a chance to ask questions. There was some discussion about who should be speakers. Franz explained that given the goals of this forum the emphasis has been on hearing from operational staff. Lamberson stated he believed Athletic Director Mike Alden should be asked to speak to the faculty council after the forum. Campbell suggested that a student athlete should be present to speak about their perspective. Porter recommended that the title of the forum be revised to be more descriptive. Campbell moved that the council approve the proposed forum as modified. The motion was seconded by Adelstein and passed unanimously.

Discussion Items

Guest. Dr. James McCartney, Director, reported on the activities of the International Center. He first introduced his colleagues, Barbara Lindeman, Director of Study Abroad and Assistant Director, David Currey, Director of International Student and Scholar Services and Assistant Director, and Kerri Urban, Information Specialist for the International Director. After distributing materials to the members of the Council, Dr. McCartney noted that a decade ago, in relation to other universities, the University of Missouri fell toward the bottom of the group when it came to dealing with internationalization. Much progress has been made since that time. Among factors influencing this progress is the fact that Chancellor Deaton has placed international issues high on his priority list and evolving changes in the interests of faculty and students. Other forces shaping our progress include the growth in funded opportunities for faculty, students and administrators.

The Global Scholars program was established in 1998 and has enabled 130 faculty members to travel to seminars. The university sponsors two seminars per year under this program. There has been growth in the number of programs available to students for study abroad and research grants for faculty. External programs for faculty and students also have grown. The Fulbright grants are the best known program for international study, but many others are available and may be found listed on the Center website.

An increasing number of new faculty hired come from other nations. Indeed, at a reception last year for new faculty, 14 of the 15 faculty attending were from other nations. More than 25% of new faculty on this campus are from other nations. Further, the number of new faculty native to the United States with international research interests is growing rapidly.

McCartney noted that over the past five years a number of international offices have opened on campus, distributed through multiple departments and centers. He also noted that the events of September 11 have had a significant effect on their operations, not only with respect to security issues and the Patriot Act, but also with other federal acts and regulations. It has taken some time to absorb all of these changes into their operations.

McCartney provided a brief history of the international programs at the university and noted that in 2005 the Cambio Center was opened. The International Center has oversight for study abroad programs, services to international students and development of international agreements for research and academics. Both as a result of these programs and of increasing interest, there has been substantial growth in the numbers of students studying abroad. He noted that other Big 12 universities have seen similar growth in international programs, but we have seen more rapid growth and expansion. The Center currently is preparing a mission statement linked to an implementation plan. As a part of that process they are analyzing existing resources to determine how they best can be used. A master's program for Peace Corps volunteers returning from their work is in the process of being developed. Devaney inquired whether the European Union Center is still receiving funds from the EU, and was advised that the contract had been renewed.

Evaluation of Administrators. Schmidt reported on the work of the special projects committee, charged with evaluating the chancellor, provost, vice provost and vice chancellor. The committee has been meeting with Provost Foster to discuss who should be evaluated and how the evaluation should be conducted. He stated that a motion would be brought before the next meeting of the council concerning individuals to be evaluated this academic year. The current plan is to review two of the six administrators to be evaluated each year, with priority to James Coleman, Vice Provost for Research, and Handy Williamson, Jr., Vice Provost for International Programs & Faculty Development. Schopp stated that there are resources collected in prior years and that she will work with the committees to provide access to those resources.

Standing Committee Reports

Devaney, Chair of Student Affairs Committee, reported that they are looking at student attendance policies which are part of the academic regulations. They have looked particularly at the situation of athletes who may not be able to fully predict absences, particularly when there is post-season or tournament play. At this time the committee does not anticipate recommending a change in policies but they do note that it is important for faculty be sensitive to the situation of student athletes and students participating in other competitions, such as moot court, debate, etc.

There were no further committee reports.

Adjournment

There being no further business to come before the meeting, it was adjourned at 4:54 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Patricia Fry, Recorder