Meeting Minutes: December 6, 2001

Attendance

Present: Jeff Anglen, Tobias Baskin, Nelson Cowan, Gordon Christensen, Bruce Cutter, Sara Gable, Judith Goodman, Tom Hurley, Robert Jerry, Philip Johnson, Norman Land, Daniel Longo, Sudarshan Loyalka, Michael McKean, Loren Nikolai, Catherine Parke, Peggy Placier, Eileen Porter, Paul Sharp, Donald Sievert, MaryEllen Sievert, William Wiebold, Russ Zguta, Jenice Prather Kinsey (Black Faculty and Staff), Mark Prelas (AAUP), Charles Cramer (Retirees), and Pat Timberlake (Librarians). Absent: Michael Devaney, Daniel Hooley, Bill Lambertson, and Anne McKendry.

Approval of Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Chair Russ Zguta at 3:30 p.m. in room S203 of the Memorial Union. The Council minutes of October 25, 2001 were approved as submitted.

Report of Officers

Zguta informed Council that former Council member Ed Adelstein had recently suffered an injury but that he is expected to recover. Zguta briefly commented on the recent faculty vote concerning the CBHE's transfer and articulation agreement. Because the faculty voted to not comply, there will be a meeting of Michael McKean with Steve Lehmkuhle, the Committee on Undergraduate Education, and a member of the Provost Office to decide on how best to proceed. Zguta finished his report with an update on the Council's resolutions concerning problems with the grievance procedures. He said the Chancellor is waiting for a reply from Dr. Snyder, the AAUP representative who visited campus recently to assess the situation. Zguta introduced Professor Daniel Longo of the Department of Family and Community Medicine who is joining Faculty Council to replace Wayne Hess.

Judith Goodman, Intercampus Faculty Council representative, reported on the last Intercampus Faculty Council (IFC) meeting. Among the several items discussed were: how university-wide committee are appointed, copyright policy (the copyright is retained by the faculty members unless the university invested "substantial resources", encouraging faculty to publish in journals which allow authors to retain copyright, and that "fee reductions" for dependents are unlikely in the near future. The President reported no news of mid-year reduction in state support but if there are reductions next year fees may have to be increased. Finally, 30-40 million dollars will become available in the next 20-30 years from the state's tobacco companies settlement and we are looking for ways to access those funds.

Don Sievert, Observer to the Board, reported on the last Board meeting in Rolla. In the last fifteen years the greatest growth in funding has been at the St. Louis and Kansas City campuses. The new president of the Board, John Mathes, wants the Board to review its past functioning and reconsider how it is to function in the future. There was also a major concern expressed about finances in that the Board is in control of the distribution of funds to the campuses. Sievert expressed surprise that there were so few comments heard and that none were invited or encouraged during the public session.

Daniel Longo asked whether Council had any position on the tobacco settlement money and how faculty could have access to it. Lori Franz of the Provost's Office will get more information to Council about the question.

Action Items

2003-2004 Academic Calendar - McKean. McKean for Academic Affairs moved to adopt the academic calendar for 2003-2004. After the motion was seconded, Zguta introduced Missouri Student Association President (MSA) Mr. Mark Bresnahan to Council. Bresnahan made available the results of a student survey on a population of 294 students. He also distributed a listing of in class semester dates from twenty universities in the U.S. Bresnahan asked Faculty Council to consider an earlier end to the academic year and shorter breaks between semesters.

Discussion yielded a consensus that the 2003-2004 calendar under consideration would not be altered however a representative from MSA should work with our Academic Affairs committee on future academic calendars. The motion to adopt the 2003-2004 calendar passed with two abstentions. The calendar appears below.

FALL SEMESTER 2003
Orientation and RegistrationW,RAug 20,21
RegistrationFAug 22
Classwork begins, 8:00 a.m.MAug 25
Labor Day Holiday (no classes)MSep 01
Thanksgiving recess begins, close of day*SaNov 22
Classwork resumes, 8:00 a.m.MDec 01
Classwork ends, close of day*RDec 11
Stop DayFDec 12
Final examinations beginSaDec 13
Fall semester closes, 5:00 p.m.FDec 19
CommencementSaSuDec 20,21

WINTER SEMESTER 2004
Orientation and RegistrationRJan 15
RegistrationFJan 16
Martin Luther King Holiday (no classes)MJan 19
Classwork begins, 8:00 a.m.TJan 20
Spring recess begins, close of day*SaMar 20
Classwork resumes, 8:00 a.m.MMar 29
Classwork ends, close of day*R`May 06
Stop DayFMay 07
Final examinations beginSaMay 08
Winter semester closes, 5:00 p.m.FMay 14
CommencementSaSuMay 15,16

SUMMER SESSION 2004
8-week session
Orientation and RegistrationFJun 04
Classwork begins, 7:30 a.m.MJun 07
Independence Day recess (no classes)MJul 05
8-week session closes, 5:00 p.m.FJul 30

FIRST 4-WEEK SESSION 2004
Orientation and RegistrationFJun 04
Classwork begins, 7:30 a.m.MJun 07
First 4-week session closes, 5:00 p.m.FJul 02

SECOND 4-WEEK SESSION 2004
Orientation and RegistrationFJul 02
Classwork begins, 7:30 a.m.TJul 06
Second 4-week session closes, 5:00 p.m.FJul 30

Discussion Items

Guest: Rob Weagley, Associate Professor, Consumer & Family Economics, Chair of Resource Advisory Council (RAC).

The RAC model was initially discussed. This is a model by which state resources are to be made available to academic units based on their productivity and the extent to which they achieve goals related to the university's strategic plan. Weagley distributed the following documents: "Resource Allocation at MU" draft 4-18-00 which described the model; and, ""Goals, Objectives, Priorities for Action and Accomplishments" the fifth report on the strategic planning process. Weagley discussed the Committee on Effective Resource Utilization (CERU) and its efforts to identify resources that could be made available. Peggy Placier asked about the definition of an academic unit and about the problems of allocating credit when collaboration among members of different units is required. Weagley acknowledged that some deans had pointed out similar problems. In response to a question by Tobias Baskin, Weagley responded that individual units do not have a state appropriation but the Chancellor and Provost decide how state funds are distributed. He further noted that the Chancellor is open with the budget process and seeks a range of views. Weagley concluded by noting that few resources will be available in the near future to implement RAC's recommendations so the pace of change is uncertain.

Standing Committee Reports

Faculty Affairs - Sudarshan Loyalka, Chair, reported that he has not yet received an appropriate report on the status of grievances from Deputy Chancellor Middleton.

Adjournment

There being no other business, Council was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Tom Hurley, Recorder