Steps in Dean Evaluations
- Notification will be sent by the Provost Office to policy committee chair of divisions whose deans are scheduled for a review.
- A generic copy of an evaluation instrument will be provided by the Provost's Office for these evaluations to provide some consistency in questions being asked about deans among the various divisions. Additional questions can then be added if desired by the policy committee or dean to measure specific divisional initiatives.
- Policy committee chair will meet with the Provost to discuss the evaluation instrument, modifications, his perception of the role of deans, and the procedure for reviews.
- Policy Committee chair will obtain input from the dean on the evaluation instrument in terms of whether the dean has a few specific initiatives he/she would like evaluated. Questions can be added to the evaluation instrument to reflect this request.
- Provost reviews final evaluation instrument before it is distributed.
- The evaluation instrument will be distributed by the policy committee, or the Provost Office upon request by the policy committee, to all faculty and staff (and others with relevance to the division) in the college/school. If the policy committee elects to use Survey Monkey, an email with a link to the survey instrument will be sent to faculty, staff (and others).
- Results of the evaluation will be sent to the Provost office if the instrument is conducted using paper surveys. Survey Monkey data also will default to the Provost's office.
- The Provost will personally review results with the dean. Provost sends results confidentially to the dean before this meeting so the dean will have a chance to study the information. The dean gets a copy of everything, including narrative comments.
- After the review with the dean, the Provost's Office will notify the Policy Committee chair that the committee (or the Provost Office) may share copies of the numerical data from the review with the faculty and staff of the school/college. The narrative comments are not shared with the college/school faculty and staff.
- The Provost shares numerical results with Faculty Council Executive Committee and upon request will review this information with the committee.
- The Provost meets with the divisional Policy Committee and/or members of the college to discuss results and thank them for their work. At the meeting with the Policy committee the Provost may elect to share a verbal summary of the comments.
NOTE: An electronic method of conducting the evaluation is encouraged using SurveyMonkey. This saves a great deal of paper, transcription time for summarizing narrative comments, and confidentiality for respondents is maintained. Importantly, Survey Monkey allows data to be separated by categories. Thus, upon request, data from faculty can be tabulated independent of other groups. Policy Committees should notify Linda Cook concerning data separation.
Contact person in the Office of the Provost: Linda Cook, Project Specialist, 2-0159 or email@example.com.
Dean Evaluation Rotation Schedule
Faculty Council Policy (as of 2011) for Evaluation of Administrators:
Rotation for divisional administrators:
- Year one - no evaluation
- Year two - formative evaluation
- Year three - no evaluation
- Year four - formative, summative evaluation
If year four referendum is positive:
- Year five - none
- Year six - none
- Year seven - formal evaluation repeated with referendum
Repeat formal evaluation on a three-year rotation as long as referenda are positive.
If year four referendum is negative:
- Year five: Formal one repeated
If year five referendum is negative, the process established and implemented by Faculty Council to assess and transmit an evaluation of support or no confidence shall be initiated.